For many homeowners, using the fireplace sounds ideal, but the reality is far from it. Smoke comes pouring back into the home, they have a hard time getting and keeping the fire going, and their fireplace produces little heat and little enjoyment. Sound familiar? We can help.
Here at Robinson Maintenance Repair, we want to make sure our neighbors in Chicago’s north, northwest, and western suburbs enjoy their fireplaces the way they were meant to be enjoyed. We’re passionate about providing exceptional service and educating customers on fire safety, while addressing every aspect of fireplace and chimney care and maintenance, and making it safer and easier for our customers to stay warm and cozy in their homes.
In line with that, we’re always willing and ready to help our customers get to the bottom of smoke and performance problems so they can start enjoying their fireplaces, rather than simply longing for the ambiance and warmth they can provide.
Do you have a smoky chimney and fireplace? Our team is certified in Chimney Physics, Diagnosis & Documentation, and Troubleshooting Gas & Woodburning Hearth Appliances, and we’ll get to the heart of the problem.
Some of the most common reasons for a smoky chimney and fireplace are:
- Damaged Smoke Chamber — The smoke chamber is the inverted funnel below your flue and its purpose is to quickly usher smoke and byproducts up into the flue so it can exit the home. When damaged or designed incorrectly, the smoke chamber won’t do its job effectively or quickly, and smoke will linger in the fireplace and re-enter the home.
- Improperly Sized Flue Liner/Fireplace Opening — The flue to fireplace opening size ratio needs to be correct. When the opening is too big for the flue, the flue will have a hard time getting that smoke out as quickly and as effectively as it needs to to prevent the backflow of smoke into the home.
- Blocked or Restricted Flue — Flue blockages, like bird nests, debris blown in by storms, and flaking or fallen flue tiles can block the flue and prevent smoke from making it all the way through the chimney. Likewise, when creosote buildup is bad, it can reduce the area of the flue and prevent smoke from quickly exiting.
- Chimney Height — To achieve proper draft, the chimney height needs to be of proper specs for the chimney system and home. If it’s not, draft will suffer, and smoke will naturally waft back into the air supply rather than being pulled up and out of the chimney.
- Poor Draft — Poor draft can be caused by a number of things, including a lack of combustion air inside the home, incorrect flue size or chimney height, cold flue, and high winds. But no matter the cause, without proper draft, the chimney will have a hard time pulling smoke up and out of the home, and instead, that smoke may enter your home and air supply.
- Rusted/Broken Damper — The damper of the fireplace must be opened before you light a fire in the home. If the damper is closed or rusted into place and you’re unable to open it, the smoke produced by the fire will have no way of exiting the home through the chimney.
- Wet/Unseasoned Wood — Wet or unseasoned wood, also known as green wood, is full of moisture. When you burn this type of wood, rather than properly dried and seasoned wood, the fire will naturally produce more smoke, which could be the reason for your smoke problems.
Whatever is causing your smoke problems, we have a solution! Our team:
- Repairs, Resurfaces & Reshapes Smoke Chambers
- Relines & Resurfaces Chimney Flues & Furnace Flues
- Cleans Chimneys & Furnace Flues & Removes Creosote
- Rebuilds & Restores Chimneys
- Installs Chimney Caps (Vacustack chimney caps resolve many wind-related downdraft problems, Exhausto chimney caps resolve many issues with poor draft as a result of flue size, and chimney caps of all kinds work to keep debris and nesting animals out)
- Installs IntelliDraft Damper System (a damper system that resolves draft issues related to inadequate combustion air)
- Installs Mechanical Fireplace Dampers (these work with a chimney fan to prevent the backflow of smoke)
Don’t go another year with a smoky, unpleasant fireplace. Call Robinson Maintenance Repair at 847-290-1883 or request an appointment online and we’ll take care of it!